Monday, April 23, 2012

Starting Over


Welcome to my new blog!  For those of you who don’t know me and my work please check feel free to check out my website,(www.dvtceramics.com)  If you like what you see LIKE my facebook page (Dan Van Tassell Ceramicsand Mixed Media Sculpture)  and follow my progress!  With that said, today marks the first day in a new series of sculptures.  I have spent the last year mainly focusing on pottery and side projects, but I have finally decided it’s time to get back to work on what is most important to me, that being my sculpture.  I will be posting in-progress images over the next few months as the work develops. 

This is where I am currently working.



But for today, I will start with where I began almost one year ago.  The work I am hoping to create to start the series is based on three sculptures featured in my MFA Thesis Show: Semiotic Systems, Ornamentation of Regret   




The new works will be wall based like the previous three but with a big variation, primarily in scale (smaller).   

Also I will be looking to get back to my ceramic roots a little bit closer and work more with porcelain as a primary medium.  As always I reserve the right to change my mind at will, but for now that is the tentative starting point.  I am curious about how all the different techniques and other materials I learned about in graduate school will change the way I approach my more conventional porcelain sculptures from several years ago.  I feel like there might be an interesting middle ground worth exploring….but I guess we’ll see!!  Thank you to everyone for your support and please check back often as I will be posting updates regularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment